Sunday, June 6, 2010

Graduation Cake


I have recently made a few graduation cakes, These 2 were for the same girl.  Her class flower was a white rose with yellow tips, so I made some of those out of fondant.


They were pretty easy to make, just really time consuming!  After I let them dry I took the steamer to them.  It gives them a nice shine and also makes them almost feel like glass.



I then covered the cakes in fondant --I didn't get it quite as smooth as I would have liked, but really I decided it didn't matter too much.  I was making the cakes for them at a loss, pretty much; and most people probably wouldn't notice.  So I went with it.  I didn't feel like peeling it off and starting over.  I also felt like the cake needed a little more.  Something to tie it into the other cake.  So, I added a little more:


I think the yellow helped. 


The next cake I made was a full sheet cake.  


It turned out okay, but I can't get over that I didn't get the seams perfect where I connected the cakes.  Next time I think I will cut off the corners instead of trying to fill them with frosting.  Oh well... live and learn.


A close up of the bulldog I drew on the cake.  

Surprisingly the large cake didn't take me too long to join together and decorate.  Only about an hour and a half.  It was so big though that it needed more support, my dad made me a really nice cake board.  He is such a perfectionist, he even put little legs on it, a support system on the underside, and he varnished it.  I'm lucky to have such a great dad!  

Well, I'm off to do dishes now, the hubby should be back from golfing soon.  I think we're just going to spend time together and watch a hindi movie or something.  We don't get a lot of time to just hang out together, so we have to make the most of it!

The husband with his new golf bag and clubs I bought for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment